Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fun Jobs in New York City?

Okay, I decided a long time ago that I would work to live, not live to work. It's cliche but its true. I used to take creative positions where I could design and photo edit all day. The problem was that I never wanted to work on my own creative endeavors when the day was over. I made a conscious decision to take boring jobs that pay well in order to buy art and photo supplies, pay the bills, save for a family, an apartment, probably a minivan and retirement.

Well, that's not working out either. While I am by no means a slacker at work, I am by no means an overachiever. I just go, do my job well and leave.

This leads me to my next question: Where are the fun jobs in New York City? A search on Google turned up nothing but Craigslist positions for the first five or so hits. I eventually found my way onto a site promising fun positions. Click on the link: Sales jobs, accounting positions, office managers. What's worse? The were everywhere but New York City: NJ, Long Island, Westchester.

So is it this bad? Is the greatest city in the world, the top destination for fun, completely devoid of fun jobs? Do I need to become a fun sales person or a fun accountant or a fun office manager and NJ Transit it or LI Railroad it or Metro North it?

I'll do anything, I just want to work in a fun place or in a fun industry and have a fun time. It must be in New York City.

Seriously, contact me if you have anything.

2 comments:

kenny said...

I think if you're a creative person you should spend as much time as you can around other creative people. That means working in a creative industry. It doesn't have to specifically be at a place doing what you do, but you could work with the stage crew in a Broadway theater behind the curtain, or as an account person at a small creative ad agency (small because small=fun). Being around other creatives will feed the creative in you. That's my best advice.

Tommy said...

Thanks, Kenny. I appreciate it. That is definitely true. The best job I had was in a small creative, mostly Flsah, agency. We knew each other's families and went to long lunches and hung out after work. But it was way out in NJ and I had not opportunity to advance. Ohh... so many tradeoffs.